Recently, our own Jill McKenzie was quoted for a holiday tabletop article for the AJC by Merlisa Lawrence Corbett. The article shares some fantastic tips and ideas for creating the perfect setting for all of your holiday tables… And, as you’re surely aware, we’re in crunch time for holiday gatherings!
So, if you’ll be hosting any seasonal soirees, read below to learn what our top four elements to any tantalizing tablescape are:
- THE Tablecloth – it’s the base of your entire tablescape and sets the mood for the entire gathering. Anything from fine linen textiles to an antique quilt may be used. Just make it interesting and make it YOU.
- An easy formula for a classic tablescape is to begin with a white or cream tablecloth then dress it up or down with runners, squares, etc.
- Linens from Le Jacquard Francais, such as their 69″x69″ squares are a fantastic addition, when placed as a “diamond” in the center of the table. The offer wonderful color and interest!
- Individualize Place Settings – add a personalized touch to your table by using different pieces at everyone’s place. And be sure to pull out the fancy china for these gatherings! After all, what are you saving it for?!
- It’s also a smart idea to use little place cards, especially for a larger group, as this makes selecting a seat effortless and you can assist with the flow of conversation by specifically selecting who will sit where.
- Considerate Centerpieces – the formula for a sensational centerpiece is simple = keep it low or very high, not in between. You want to ensure your guests can see each other across the table!
- Add a “wow factor” with fabulous candle holders and candelabras, mix in natural elements and create a few simple floral arrangements with grocery store flower or even greenery cuttings from your own backyard.
- OR, if you have simple candle holders, a fabulous set of taper candles may be all you need to add a bit of oomph to your table!
- Unexpected Colors – add a third color into your holiday tablescapes to shake things up a bit… Try green, red and gold or green red a silver. OR, consider a unique hue of green. We love R. Wood’s super saturated chartreuse color, which really adds a lot of brightness to a tabletop.
*BONUS TIP: Set your table in advance – at least a day prior to your event. Take this opportunity to play around with your tablescape and even “audition” different centerpieces or serving pieces. Layout a place setting then walk away. As you move throughout the space, you’ll know how you like it or how it could be improved.
As our favorite, festive time for the year quickly approaches, an organized mindset will be your best friend. So, get to organizing those holiday tablescapes now! See other inspirational ideas in the AJC article and for some hands-on assistance, come into the steve mckenzie’s showroom today, where our team can help guide you to a sensational seasonal tablescape for your gathering.